The B2B marketing glossary by Visionary Marketing aims at providing useful definitions of the main B2B marketing concepts and to complement them with critical analysis. Wherever necessary, we also define the corresponding B2C terms to provide a side-by-side comparison of definitions, approaches and analysis.
- ABM: Account-Based Marketing - A good definition for ABM will always start with #flipthefunnel. It challenges the notion of "lead" and turns the funnel upside down.
- Automation in B2B marketing - Marketing automation in B2B enables marketing processes to be managed automatically across multiple channels. With marketing automation, companies can target their visitors with automated messages via e-mail, the web, social … Read on
- B2B buyer behavior - The Internet and social networks have revolutionized B2B buyer behavior. Most B2B buyers help themselves to the information they need
- B2B Value Proposition - The marketing value proposition consists of highlighting the benefits that an offering or product will bring to a customer segment (read our sheet on B2B marketing segmentation) or to a particular persona (read our sheet on B2B personas).
- Business Model Canvas - The Business Model Canvas is a standard business model design template, particularly aimed at startups. This model is quite simple and is broken down into 9 main boxes that scan … Read on
- Content marketing in B2B - What definition can we give to B2B content marketing? In B2C marketing, offering content to the general public is a luxury or marketing gimmick, admittedly powerful and increasingly common, but … Read on
- Demand analysis - When analysing a market from a demand perspective, there are a number of indicators available including penetration rate and elasticity. In this glossary post on demand analysis.
- Digital Marketing definition - Définition marketing digital, un terme utilisé en permanence et pourtant bien mal compris car mal défini
- Ethics in B2B marketing - Marketing ethics is a broad-ranging topic, which should be seen as a subset of business ethics.
- Fundamentals of marketing - The fundamentals of marketing are as useful to B2C as they are to B2B. Read more on the glossary page dedicated to marketing fundamentals (letter 'M')
- Innovation in B2B - While there are many definitions for B2B innovation and some are aimed at better understanding buyer behaviour.
- Lead Generation in B2B - The notion of lead generation in B2B is as old as time. What is a lead? Lead generation is not an end in itself.
- Market - Market definition in B2B and B2C - The very notion of "market" is at the heart of any marketing approach. A market can be defined...
- Market Share definition - Market share can be defined as a percentage accounted for by a given producer or brand in its own market. Market share = Current market of producer or brand / Current market of product all brands
- Market Studies in B2B - There are many methods for conducting market studies in B2B like quantitative and qualitative surveys and questionnaires.
- Marketing automation en B2B - Le marketing automation en B2B permet de gérer automatiquement les processus marketing sur plusieurs canaux et pratiquer le "nurturing".
- Marketing fundamentals - The fundamentals of marketing are as useful to B2C as B2B. Marketing fundamentals are about the description of the principles of marketing
- Marketing Mix in B2B - The marketing mix of B2B is limited to 3 P's.
- Mobile Apps in B2B - B2B mobile apps offer the opportunity to modernise business-to-business operations with a minimal learning curve.
- Mobile Marketing in B2B - Mobile marketing in B2B is booming. B2B buyers seek the same experiences and features on their smartphones as regular consumers do.
- Persona in B2B marketing - The B2B persona allows you to define who your target buyers are.
- PESTLE model - PESTLE is the model for understanding the environment of a market (demand or supply side) and how it impacts their decision-making process
- Plan marketing B2B - Le plan marketing B2B est la résultante directe, le prolongement de l’analyse stratégique réalisée en amont mais il a ses limites.
- Product management in B2B - Le product management en B2B n'est pas nouveau mais évolue rapidement et en permanence, séduisant de plus en plus de sociétés
- Product management in B2B - In order to provide an overview of B2B product management from its initiation to the present day, we must go back to the 1930s.
- Prospecting in B2B - Une activité incontournable car les entreprises B2B perdent entre 5% et 15% de leurs clients chaque année
- Purchasing Act - In this fact sheet we will mainly talk about the B2C (Business to Consumer) Act of Purchase. Read our fact sheet on the B2B buying act here.
- Purchasing Process in B2B - The B2B purchasing process is the result of a long life cycle often linked to a contract as there are many people to convince.
- Segmentation - Market segmentation is as important in B2B as in B2C. Strictly speaking, segmenting means dividing one's market into subsets (segments)
- Smarketing - The purpose of merging marketing and sales departments in companies is to make employees (marketers on one side, salespeople on the other) who sometimes have a hard time understanding each other work together in a smooth and coordinated way.
- Social Selling en B2B - Le social selling consiste à utiliser les réseaux sociaux à des fins commerciales.
- Survey biases - Questioning biases in B2B market research are more complex than in B2C. We have found 22 of them
- The Role of a Website in B2B - What is the role of a website in B2B? Potential customers are interested in your brand and likely to visit your website for more information.
- Website Creation for Business - The creation of a good website for business depends on its general strategy, communication objectives, and the alignment between these.
- White papers in B2B - The white paper is one of the pillars of a B2B content marketing strategy. It is proof of your expertise.
- Word of Mouth Marketing (WOMM) in B2B - Word-of-mouth marketing is a classic in B2B, it is an alternative method to traditional advertising and marketing
About the Visionary B2B marketing glossary
Our Visionary Marketing Critical B2B Glossary aims to provide useful definitions of key B2B marketing concepts, complemented by critical analysis.
Why a Visionary B2B marketing glossary? Every word counts in this question.
There are already many marketing glossaries all over the Internet. We didn’t want to add one more glossary for the sake of SEO, but rather wanted to provide precise answers, as detailed and in-depth as possible, to questions that marketing professionals and students are asking.
A critical eye with field experience in mind.
In addition, we have tried to bring a critical viewpoint, based on our experience in the field, which is not simply a repetition of what already exists. There is very little good literature available on B2B marketing and it’ a pity.
In view of how content is structured on Visionary Marketing, we therefore thought it would be interesting to add more content and analysis to this particular branch of marketing, about which we have already written extensively.
Going back to the basics of marketing
Of course, it was not possible to write a glossary of the main B2B marketing terms without going back to the fundamentals of B2C marketing. Wherever necessary, we have therefore also defined the corresponding B2C terms in order to offer a comparison of definitions, approaches and analyses.
The visionary B2B marketing glossary is updated on an ongoing basis in English and French.