Luc Dumont, SVP international Business Development Manager, demoed the most recent developments at Dailymotion from their Redwood Calif. office on day 2 of our blog tour, in front of our blogger bus bloggers on the second day of the tour. Dailymotion is a video hosting platform which was created in 2005 in France. It can boast 100 million daily users per month and 25-30 million videos are hosted on the platform. There are 220 million unique viewers a month even though the company is only 113 employee big. It also now part of the France Telecom- Orange group (disclosure: I work for the Group). Dailymotion is the 2nd largest video platform behind Youtube and 80% of its audience is coming from outside France. Whereas the head-office is in Paris, US operations are based in NYC and International operations are managed from Redwood, Calif. [this post was originally composed on behalf of Orange for the http://live.orange.com blog]
the most exciting segment in digital
“This is the most exciting segment within the online business” Luc Dumont
Luc Dumont today at Dailymotion’s headquarter
Here are my notes (taken on the spot) from that meeting …
the various platforms that Dailymotion is running on:
- Everything was built from the inside and it resulted in the Dailymotion.com. It’s a very large site now (see above numbers). Curators are preparing videos for users.
- Social networks is the second platform. Social has been part of the DNA from day one and accounts for 1/3 of our traffic, Luc Dumont added. “It’s a great tool and there is space for a second or third player” he said. “People don’t care about who runs the video, they just consume video”
- Dailymotion Publisher networks: is a new product whereby a special relationship is struck with publishers like Yahoo!, msn and the Huffington Post
- mobiles and tablets (15-20% of traffic as of today)
- connected TVs: partnerships with as many manufacturers as possible
- consoles: ditto
“Hamsters fighting cats” is hardly a business in the long term Dumont declared, this is why Dailymotion is developing partnerships with lots of content providers: live feeds, advertising forms, PPV, subscription VOD, televised VOD etc.
Content is therefore aggregated from media companies but there is also more and more content being developed by Dailymotion themselves.
The Dailymotion Publisher Network
The project was developed from California:
- for bloggers or website editors who embed videos on their platforms. Dailymotion enables content providers to make money from content which they have not created. Youtube doesn’t allow that to happen. It’s free to join and means more content and allows monetisation
- 1,000 publishers have signed up as yet: both platforms and bloggers (without discrimination)
- Dailymotion, in order to promote that service, is also making a number of tools available to platform owners such as widgets and “tools which will turn text and pictures” into a video Luc Dumont said.
- content can be pulled from many publishers like “associated press” for instance
- 30 million videos are available, from various content providers (music, news, entertainment etc.) and depending on blogger demand, more will be acquired by Dailymotion according to the company’s US representative
- the url is http://publisher.dailymotion.com and one can see an example of a website which used that service in order to build a video sub section at http://videos.satrmedia.com (disclosure: this is the Spanish language American portal of the France Telecom – Orange group). In essence, Starmedia was able to put together a very sophisticated video section in the portal without developing anything, even though numbers couldn’t be disclosed in terms of how many visits were brought by the service.
- Similarly, msn video in France is using the service when users are doing a search in order not to present an empty page but display videos instead.
- the feature was built at the beginning of this year. There is an open API for publishers to build their own experience in order to tap into the video bank automatically. Otherwise, video inclusion can be performed manually.
- Dailymotion works with a number of content providers including Reuters and the Wall Street Journal as well as providers of content in other languages (there are “thousands of them” Dumont declared)
Latest posts by Yann Gourvennec (see all)
- 57% of consumers feel threatened by chatbots. Who cares? - 23/10/2019
- Internet Monitoring : Brands could do better - 23/07/2019
- Deep learning under Luc Julia’s microscope – with AI Paris 2019 - 18/07/2019