In March 2012, Amex decided to introduce a new plan (https://sync.americanexpress.com/twitter/Index) in order to turn its customers’ tweets into rewards. Participating brands include 1-800flowers.com, Best buy, Dell and H&M. Here is how Amex describes the service:
- Sync your eligible American Express® Card with Twitter
- Tweet the special offer #hashtags to load exclusive Cardmember offers directly to your Card
- Save with an automatic statement credit when you make a qualified purchase in store or online with your synced Card
It’s mostly aimed at customers in the US and doesn’t seem to be available to European American Express clients. I couldn’t spot it either on the UK or France pages.
The idea is clever as it mainly touts the benefits of not having to use coupons. The main challenge will however remain, as always in e-marketing, with the ability to offer a great service (and big discounts) while reassuring clients that they are free to choose and opt-out (or even not opt-in at all).
Latest posts by Yann Gourvennec (see all)
- 57% of consumers feel threatened by chatbots. Who cares? - 23/10/2019
- Internet Monitoring : Brands could do better - 23/07/2019
- Deep learning under Luc Julia’s microscope – with AI Paris 2019 - 18/07/2019